Dream Reverberations 夢的殘音 (Singles Edition 單曲版)
1. Cursive Calligraphy 草書 (9:34)
2. Satisfaction of Oscillation 震盪的滿足 (9:25)
All tracks by Yao Dajuin
Speech samples: Tsao Jerlian
Studio: false.time.controller, Berkeley, California
Hardware: PowerMac, Peavey PC-1600, Ensoniq DP/4+, Lexicon MPX-1
Software: Poetry Design Assistant (aka PDA, proprietary), SuperCollider v1.1
Mastering: Yao Dajuin
Design: Yao Dajuin
Photo: Osvald Sirén (at Yi Garden, Suzhou, 1948)
> download FLAC (links above)
1. All tracks made from a few syllables/words of Mandarin recitation (track 1, two syllables; track 2, five syllables), reading poems generated algorithmically. No singing, no other sound sources, samples, or electronic sound generation were used in the entire album.
2. No pitch-shifting was used in “Satisfaction of Oscillation.” All (pseudo-)melodic content is inherent in Mandarin speech. This composition is strictly Reichian, and not, as is often misunderstood, Lansky-an, in spirit.
3. The “Singles Edition” was selected from the out-of-print album “Dream Reverberations” (Juxiang, 1997).
4. “Satisfaction of Oscillation” also published by Sub Rosa in “An Anthology of Noise & Electronic Music vol. 5 – fifth a-chronology 1920-2007” (Sub Rosa, 2007) and by UbuWeb in “Contemporary Chinese Experimental Music” on UbuWeb Sound, curated by Lawrence Li (UbuWeb, 2007).
© 1997/2008 Post-Concrete